Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a Public Defender?
You must first contact the office of the Public Defender and fill out a financial affidavit. Sometimes you will be given them in court. They will determine if you qualify. If they find that you qualify but they have a conflict of interest, your case will be transferred to the Conflict Defender's Office for representation.

What if I was never read my Miranda Rights?
You should talk to your attorney about the circumstances, however the failure to read rights does not make your arrest illegal.

If I am the suspect in a crime or investigation, should I talk to the police and explain my side of the story?
It is always best if you refuse (politely) to make any statement and ask for an attorney immediately. DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE.

How are felonies graded?
An A felony is the most severe and an E felony is the least severe therefore felonies range from A, B, C, D and E. Not every felony charge requires a state prison sentence, some allow for probation or local jail.

Reply email: