Steuben County DPW Shared Services
Joint Ownership and Operation of Equipment:
- Pavement striping truck: Steuben Co. DPW with Schuyler and Yates Counties.
Shared Use of Equipment:
- County shares with Towns, NYSDEC, NYSDOT and BOCES: Dozers, trucks, lowboy, track excavators, loaders, shoulder widener, chip seal machine and asphalt zipper. Towns share trucks and other equipment with Steuben Co. DPW.
- Schuyler County loans message boards to Steuben DPW.
- BOCES: Shares equipment with the Towns and County.
- Steuben Co. DPW equipment shop repairs some equipment for Towns.
- Steuben Co. DPW fuel tanks are shared with Towns & other agencies.
- Steuben Co. has a shared services agreement with Ontario County.
- NYSDEC loans water pumps to County bridge crew.
Steuben County Soil & Water Conservation Service (S&WCS):
- Steuben County DPW, Towns, and NYSDEC work together to clean creeks. The gravel is used to build roads.
- Steuben County DPW works with S&WCS to place erosion control rip rap and rock spurs in County streams.
- Steuben County DPW provides the operator and repair services for the S&WCS track hoe.
- County and Town crews work together to repair flood damage.
- Steuben Co. DPW helped fund construction of Town salt buildings for shared use.
- County crews manufacture precast box culverts for Villages and Towns, 40% cost savings.
- County designs, builds, maintains and pays for 142 Town bridges. Towns maintain the driving surface.
- County DPW Engineering and Construction divisions advise Towns on bridge and road designs.
Road Construction and Paving:
- County crews chip seal some Town roads.
- County crew paves some Town roads.
- County rents its road grinder and operator to Towns, Schuyler County and Chemung County.
Signs & Guide Rail:
- County crews install signs and guide rail on some Town roads.
- Schuyler Co. manufactures some traffic signs for Steuben Co. DPW in return for our old signs.
- Steuben County prepares some Town bids and extends County bids to the Towns.
Mobile Work Program:
- Steuben Co. DPW supervisors pick up welfare workers and complete projects for municipalities and not-for-profit agencies.
- County offers free tipping fees for Roadside Cleanup Days.