Questions and Answers about 9-1-1
9-1-1 is a number used for emergencies. However, the definition of an emergency varies from person to person. The best way to judge whether or not to dial 9-1-1 is to ask yourself -- "Do I need help immediately?". If the answer is yes,
dial 9-1-1. If the answer is no, dial the non-emergency number for the agency you need to assist you. If there is even the slightest chance that you may need assistance right away, don't take a chance -- dial
9-1-1 is an easy number to remember. It is easier for children, and also easier for the elderly to remember. 9-1-1 is also easier to remember under stressful circumstances. Let's face it, if you need help now, there is no time to look up a seven-digit number. Even dialing 9-1-1 saves time.
9-1-1 is also easier to use when out and about. If you're at the mall or grocery shopping in the next town, or even if you're out for a Sunday drive, the number for emergency assistance is always the same. 9-1-1.
What are the advantages of 9-1-1?
- A quick and easy number to remember.
- You can dial it no matter where you are.
- If you are calling from a regular telephone company phone (not a mobile or cellular phone), even if you are unable to talk or your call is disconnected, your address and phone number shows up on the 9-1-1 call-taker's screen and help will be sent immediately. If you are calling from a mobile or cellular phone, the call will reach our
9-1-1call-taker, but information on your phone number and location are only provided if your handset and the cellular phone company that provides your service has the ability to deliver that information to our 911 center. Even on calls where we get the telephone number and the location we will always ask the caller these questions:
- What is the emergency
- Where are you calling from
- What is the nearest cross street (intersection)
- Your name
- Your telephone number
- We ask these questions to make sure that the information we are provided by the phone company is accurate.
- 9-1-1 telecommunicators are professionally trained to assist in providing you assistance for any emergency.
- 9-1-1 centers are equipped with state of the art telephone and communications equipment.
- 9-1-1 save lives