RSVP has been serving residents of Steuben County for over 35 years. RSVP is the premier organization engaging senior volunteers in improving and enriching the lives in our community. Since its early days in Steuben County, RSVP has grown to over 500 volunteers. These dedicated people give over 100,000 hours of service per year to enhance the quality of life for residents in Steuben County.
RSVP promotes the concept of productive aging, providing individuals, age 55 and older, with meaningful work, while utilizing them as community builders. RSVP seniors, through a wide variety of volunteer opportunities, provide major cost savings to agencies and municipalities and make a significant impact on critical community needs.
The philosophy of RSVP is to serve senior citizens and the community.
This is accomplished by providing volunteer experiences that:
- Show commitment to quality by continually assessing and improving utilization of our resources and delivery of services.
- Promote a positive image of senior citizens as valued members of the community.
- Encourage cross-generational socialization and communication .
- Affirm the life experiences and sometimes overlooked talents of seniors.
- Explore interests of volunteers and offer new opportunities and challenges to meet desires of the volunteers.
- Develop a variety of opportunities for community service for older people willing to share their experience, abilities and skills for the betterment of the community and themselves.
- Ensure that volunteer assignments are made consistent with the interests and abilities of the volunteers and the needs of the community served.
- Ensure that volunteers are provided needed orientation, in-service instruction, individual support and supervision, and recognition for their volunteer services.
- Provide reasonable opportunity for community and volunteer involvement and support in development, operation and appraisal of the RSVP project.
- Assist agencies in identifying areas of critical need that can be met through placement of RSVP volunteers in order to increase impact while potentially providing cost savings to the community.
RSVP is a part of Senior Corps, along with Foster Grandparents and Senior Companions.
Senior Corps is administered by the Corporation for National and Community Service, the federal agency that supports service and volunteering programs to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement.